Wednesday, April 23, 2008







The video I chose to write about was Lupe Fiasco’s “Hip-Hop Saved My Life.” I chose this song because Lupe is one of my favorite rappers, and this is his newest single he has out. I really like this song because it actually has a meaning to it, it’s not all about doing drugs, and killing people. It is the story of a kid who had it rough, his dad was in jail, his family was poor, he was a teenager and he had a kid, but he started rapping and became famous and got his family out of the “hood” and buy his girlfriend who has supported him through everything the things he thinks she deserves. The reason I like Lupe so much is that his music isn’t about things he says about himself to make him sound more like a “gangsta’”, it is actually about things that matter. One of his songs Little Weapon reflects on the situation in Africa about how there are very young kids who are trained with weapons and trained to kill people. The song starts out with Lupe saying “dedicate this one right here to my homey with the dream” what he is doing is pointing out that this song is supposed be an inspirational song for kids who want to become something, saying that if you try hard enough at something, eventually you will get there in the end.

No comments: